What is your weakest link?

• 7 posts
    September 7, 2014 9:31 AM EDT
    When writing, what do you find to be the most difficult part? Do you get hung up on the dialogue, character description, plot, settings, historical references, research, ending, beginning....what is your weakest link?
    • 15 posts
    September 7, 2014 9:37 AM EDT
    I would have to say characters are my weakest. I tend to put all the details in and then delete them thinking that the reader will get bored reading the details. I think what I need to do is remember that the reader wants to know that character and if I remove the little details, they miss that connection. For me, if I can improve how I sketch out that character and bring them to life, without killing it in editing, I think that will improve my writing immensely.

It's just hard to know how much to edit. I've seen writers say to remove all the extra stuff as too much detail will bore the reader, however, some of those details add to the character's quirks.

#character
    • 41 posts
    February 19, 2023 10:59 AM EST

My weakness would be writing the conversation between characters, not that I can't write it, it's the typing of all of the punctuation.  It takes time to properly write a conversation that's grammatically correct, and believable with all of the sites and sounds for the reader to feel like they are in the same room as a silent but active observer.